Wednesday, August 29

Initiation (Bonfire Academy #1)

Initiation (Bonfire Academy #1)
Imogen Rose

Publication Date: 23 Novembre, 2012
Finish Date: 29 August, 2012
Format: e-book
Source: Review copy from author


From Goodreads:  Welcome to Bonfire Academy. Set in the foothills of the alpine mountains in St.Moritz, this exclusive private school caters to a special kind of student. Enter at your own risk... but if you are human, you may not want to enter at all.


I did enjoy this book, but I also had some issues with it. What made me wanted to read this book, is the fact that it was about a boarding school in st Moritz (a place I once visited when on vacation in switzerland). It sounded like a good read and I was really glad when I got asked to review it.

The story is pretty interesting, but also full of holes. Maybe that book 2 will give some more answers, but there where some things just missing. The story itself has an interesting premise and there are quite some plot lines which interested me and I wanted to see what would happen. On the other hand there was a bit too much "unprovoked" aggression and it seemed a bit strange that fights could so easily happen in such a big school and the staff acted like it was a very big deal or even unusual. What bothers me is that the aggression seems unprovoked, there is hinted at a reason, but at first sight it just doesn't make sense and if there is a reason it isn't in this book.

Also beware that while this book is YA, it deals quite freely with sex. In this world apparently sex is quite common and having sex with someone who isn't you boyfriend isn't a big deal. There are no explicite scenes in this book, but there are many obvious hints without details. Accept for those complaints I did enjoy the story and was curious about what would happen. The book was overal quite predictable, but there were some surprising turns. The writing style flows quite nicely and even though I had some issues with this book I did enjoy reading it.

I did liked the characters, especially Faustine. She is very innocent and doesn't seems to fit in the school at first, but she changes quite a bit in the course of the book. Most side characters could've used a bit more explanation and there were some actions or lack thereof of some characters that really bothered me. I really liked seeing Faustine develop and it's obvious that this book is actually about her instead of the main character, but I did like the fact that it was told from another pov instead.

The world building or actually lack thereof was what really bothered me. The world that get's introduced in this book is really interesting, there are some supernatural species and there are also hybrids possible. I liked this idea, but what bothered me was that at the end of the book I still have no idea what all the supernatural species in this world are, while I assume this is something the lead character should know, but if she does she never telt this knowledge to the reader. Also we learn only little bits about the world, it felt like I was missing huge parts. Just to state a few simple things: what powers do each supernatural have? How can hybrids be formed? why are shifter so aggressive? Why are vamps so uncontroleable that they like to snack on every human? Why do these schools exist? What is synching with someone and what consequences does it have? I was quite frustrated by the lack of world building. The world was interesting enough, but it just lacked enough explantion for me to really enjoy it. And even though some issues got attention, like the synching thing, there wasn't an explantion of what it was and what happenes when you're synched with someone.

To conclude: I liked the story and most of the characters, but everything could've used a bit more explantion. The book lacked a bit concerning world building. Nevertheless I did enjoy reading it and I am interested to know what happens next.

1 comments:

  1. Oh! I came across this book on Goodreads a few weeks back & I have been wanting to read it ever since! Thanks for the great review... I think I can hold on for a while longer now...


    I would like to invite you to my Trivia Fun. Check it out at: http://b00kr3vi3ws.blogspot.in/2012/08/sunday-trivia-1.html

    ReplyDelete

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment